After the 2004 election, there were widespread reports of serious voting problems in Ohio. The Democratic National Committee’s Voting Rights Institute made a commitment to investigate these reports and ascertain exactly what happened on November 2 in Ohio.
An exhaustive five-month investigation by the VRI’s research and investigative team identified grave problems in the administration of Ohio’s voting system. More than 1 in 4 voters in Ohio faced problems at the polls, including illegal requests for identification, long lines, poorly trained election officials, and more. There were also dramatic disparities in voting conditions among different races; African Americans waited nearly three times as long on average as whites to vote.
Most important, the VRI’s comprehensive investigation resulted in concrete recommendations that will help protect every American’s right to vote and to have that vote counted. These recommendations cover voting equipment, training for poll workers, uniform standards, and much more.
Get the facts about exactly what happened in Ohio in 2004, and learn how Democrats are fighting to protect our rights.
Download the Report
The full report (12MB download)
Section by section:
- Report Cover Page
- Table of Contents
- Section I: Letter of Introduction to Governor Howard Dean
- Section II: Executive Summary
- Section III: Voting Experience Survey
- Section IV: Provisional Ballot Survey
- Section V: Inferences from the Provisional Ballot Survey
- Section VI: Turnout, Residual Votes and Votes in Precincts and Wards
- Section VII: Electronic Voting: Accuracy, Accessibility and Fraud
- Section VIII: Transparent Aggregation of Voting Results Using the Internet
- Section IX: Experience on the Ground in Ohio
- Section X: Ohio Election Protection Summary
- Section XI: Statewide Data Collection
- Section XII: Recommendations for Future Action
- Section XIII: Appendix
This report includes in my opinion a very flimsy dismissal of fraud in Ohio. Don’t know why they chose to include it, if not to discourage further investigation. I recommend the book "Did George W. Bush Steal America’s 2004 Election" by Bob Fitrakis for the bigger picture, as well as the USCountVotes.org exit poll discrepancy report.